WHERE TO APPLY
- Office of Cheryl Dawson, Recorder of Deeds
- 940 Boonville, Room 102
- Springfield, Missouri 65802
- (417) 868-4068
HOW TO APPLY
Both parties must appear in person at the Recorder's office with proper identification and proof of social security number.
WHEN TO APPLY
Monday-Friday 8 AM to 4:30 PM (except holidays). The license fee of $51 must be paid in CASH at the time of Application. No refunds. Missouri law has eliminated the 3-day waiting period to obtain a marriage license. If you are getting married within 30 days from application, you may take your license the same day you apply. You can apply up to three months in advance and pick up your license at the appropriate time.
It is a misdemeanor for anyone to perform a marriage ceremony if a license is not presented prior to the ceremony (451.120 RSMo.). The marriage is invalid if the ceremony takes place before the license is picked up.
WHEN TO PICK UP LICENSE
License must be picked up before ceremony can be performed (see above note). Anyone previously designated may pick up the license after the waiting period. The marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance and may be used anywhere within the State of Missouri.
*Please note: The issuance of a marriage license is a public record and your names will be sent to the Springfield News-Leader. If you do not wish this information to be published you must contact the paper or you may wish to obtain your license in a different county.
WHAT TO DO WITH THE LICENSE
You are responsible for delivering the license to the person who solemnizes your marriage. The person performing the ceremony must complete the left portion of the license, have two witnesses sign it, and return it to the Recorder's office within 15 days after the wedding. The license becomes a permanent record. (The right portion is the Marriage Certificate that is filled out by the minister and retained by the parties as evidence of the marriage)
PROOF OF AGE IDENTIFICATION
Identification and proof of age is required of ALL persons. The following proof of age documents will be accepted, along with a U.S. government issued photo ID.
- AGES 15 THROUGH 17: Birth Certificate (legal, certified) AND Parental Consent
- AGE 18 AND OVER: Valid Drivers License (a Birth Certificate may be required if proof of age is in question).
Blood relatives, down to and including first cousins, MAY NOT marry under the laws of the State of Missouri. No distinction is made between resident and non-resident individuals.
Applicants (a male and a female) must be 18 years of age to marry without parental consent. Persons between the ages of 15 and 17 may obtain a license with the consent of a parent or legal guardian. Parents or legal guardians must give consent in person (at the time of application) and have proper identification and proof of custody if divorced or never married. If legal guardian is giving consent, a certified copy of guardianship papers must be presented.
Previously married applicants must give the date their last marriage ended. Persons divorced less than 30 days may apply for a marriage license if they acknowledge, in writing, they understand the divorce can be appealed or set aside within 30 days by the court of jurisdiction.
MARRIAGE LICENSE CHECKLIST
Greene County Circuit Judges and Springfield Municipal Judges will perform marriage ceremonies by appointment. Please call the following numbers to schedule an appointment:
- Greene County Circuit Judges:(417) 868-4110
- Springfield Municipal Judges:(417) 864-1890
- $51 Cash
- Proper identification
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Age
- Parent or guardian for consent (Age 15-17)
AFTER YOUR MARRIAGE
Name Change and Marital Status (female)
A certified copy of your marriage license is required by Social Security to change your name. You can obtain a certified copy of your license in the following ways:
- At the time of application for your marriage license, you can prepay $9 (cash) for a certified copy of the license. As soon as the license is returned to us, we will mail you the certified copy.
- After your marriage, when our half of the license has been returned, you may come into our office to pick up your copy for $9 (cash).
- Send a written request to:
Recorder of Deeds
Springfield, MO 65802
Include a check for $9 payable to Recorder of Deeds along with the names of the parties. Upon receipt we will mail a certified copy to you. The license must have been issued in Greene County
You should contact the following agencies to change your name and notify them of your marital status:
- Any Drivers License Office in Springfield or Republic:
- 1534 S Glenstone (417) 890-8333
- 149 Park Central Square & 3061 S Fremont (417) 869-5100
- 243 W Highway 60, Republic (417) 732-7557
- Voter Registration - Greene County Clerk's Office
- 940 Boonville
- Springfield MO 65802
- Social Security Administration
- 1570 W Battlefield
- Springfield MO 65807
- (417) 866-7210
Marriage License Fee Distribution:
|Children's Trust Fund of Missouri||$15.00|
|Shelter Fund for Abused Women||$10.00|
|Greene County General Revenue||$15.00|
|State & County User Fee||$4.00|
|County Employees Retirement System||$7.00|